Francis H Fassett

  • American

Francis H Fassett was born in Bath in 1823. He was apprenticed in the carpenter's trade and later studied architecture in Boston and New York offices. He began his own practice in 1850 in Bath. In 1864 he moved his practise and residence to Portland. He expanded his knowledge through visits to Europe to study the great architectural monuments across the ocean.

His works included rebuilding the city of Augusta and portions of Portland after disastrous fires in the years 1862 and 1866, respectively. Some of his famous buildings are the Maine General Hospital; Baxter Memorial Block in Portland; the Portland Public Library to which he donated his services as a gift to the people of Portland; and the church of the Sacred Heart. He was active in public affairs, and a member of the Fraternity Club in Portland and president of the Cumberland Club. His architectural designs showed his acquaintence with the major styles of the day. He devoted himself largely to the Queen Anne and Romanesque revivals based on European models and his office became a learning center for young architects from the city and much of the state. John Calvin Stevens, Maine's most famous architect began his studies with Fassett. In the later years of his career Fassett entered into a partnership with Frederick Thompson. Fassett died in 1908. - NRHP, 7 November 1976


Lineage


Timeline

Y/M/D Description Association Composition Place Locale Food Event
Y/M/D Description Association Composition Place Locale Food Event
Architect Pythian Opera House Boothbay Harbor
Architect Lancaster Block Portland
Architect E B Mallett Office Building Freeport
Architect Williston-West Church and Parish House Portland
Architect Kent's Hill School Historic District Kent's Hill
Architect South Parish Congregational Church and Parish House Augusta
Architect Whitehouse Block Augusta
Architect South Bridgton Congregational Church South Bridgton
Architect Maine Insane Hospital (Boundary Increase) Augusta
Architect Rivercroft Farm Fryeburg
1875/00/00 Meetinghouse is rededicated after extensive renovations and additions are made by Francis H Fassett. The work entailed remodeling the pews which resulted in their being made free of charge. Of the original interior, only the 3 sided balcony remains. Architect First Baptist Church, Waterville Waterville
Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Google Ad

Google Ad
?