United States Post Office and Courthouse
- Also Known As: United States Courthouse
Dignified Symbol of the Federal Presence in Augusta
The United States Post Office and Courthouse in Augusta is an excellent example of the Italian Renaissance Revival, a style well suited to the concept promoted by the Federal Government in the early 20th century that government buildings should be both monumental and beautiful. Designed and constructed under the auspices of the US Treasury Department's Supervising Architect Oscar Wenderoth, the building dates from 1916 and cost a total of $250,000. Wenderoth trained with Carrere and Hastings in New York, a firm nationally acclaimed for its designs in Classical Revival styles. President Taft appointed him Supervising Architect in 1912.
Sited on the edge of Augusta's downtown commercial district, the building was part of a plan to beautify the area. The imposing U-shaped building has exterior walls of cream statuary marble provided by the Blue Ridge Marble Company of Nelson, Georgia. It has three stories, a full basement, and a mezzanine over the rear-mailing platform. The original red mission tile roof remains with minor replacements. The Renaissance Revival style can be seen in the symmetrical elevations with bold cornices, arched windows, different window design at each floor, use of brackets and arches, a veranda extending along an entire facade, and the sculptural ornamentation. - NPS