Meyer and Holler

  • During the 1920s: The Milwaukee Building Company
  • American

Relatively little is known about the Milwaukee Building Company, although they became major players in the building industry in the Los Angeles region. The company first appears in city directories in 1907, with Mendel Meyer, former secretary of the Southern Syrup Company, listed as president, a position he would hold for most if not all of the firm's life. Julius C Schneider was the secretary. Among their first commissions were a series of modest Craftsman bungalows in Alhambra which, although small, demonstrate a certain finesse of style and detailing. Initially the company presented itself as a building contractor, but by 1910 a full range of services, including architectural design, was offered. Members of the firm, whose offices were in the Wright Callender Building at 405 S Hill Street (lost) in Los Angeles, at that point included Mendel Meyer, J C Schneider, Philip W Holler (whose previous occupations were "clerk" and "real estate"), Louis C Judkins, and Gabriel Meyer, former clerk and crockery dealer, as assistant superintendent. By 1909 larger commissions were coming their way, including the Crum House (Los Angeles, 1909); the Weaver House (Santa Monica, 1910); the MiII bank and Wood Houses (Santa Monica, 1911); the Thornton and Kahn Houses (Los Angeles, 1911); and the Masquers' Club (Hollywood, 1913). Around 1919 the firm began calling itself Meyer and Holler, a name which finally took precedence circa 1925. Joshua H Marks joined the company as assistant manager, Gave became a director, while Schneider and Ludkins were no longer associated with it. Meyer and Holler was still in business in the late 1930s although Philip Holler had apparently retired and Gabe Meyer, who briefly listed himself in city directories as an architect, was no longer employed by it. Responsibility for the Milwaukee Building Company - Meyer and Holler architectural design is unknown, and the firm may have run afoul of early 1920s California legislation stipulating that only those duly licensed and certified could use the term "architect". Nonetheless, the company can be credited with a remarkable range of architectural achievements, including the Charles Chaplin, Thomas Ince, and Louis B Mayer film studios; the Egyptian, Chinese, and Fox West Coast (Long Beach) theatres; the Petroleum Building, the Los Angeles First National Trust and Savings Bank (Hollywood), the Ocean Center Building (Long Beach), and the E Clem Wilson-Mutual of Omaha Building; the Hollywood Athlectic Club and the Beach Club in Santa Monica; the First Church of Christ, Scientist (Glendale), the Ninth Church of Christ, Scientist (Los Angeles), and the Twelfth Church of Christ, Scientist (Van Nuys); and numerous fine homes, such as the PauIson-Getty House (currently the mayor's residence) and the Pattison House in Hancock Park -Windsor Square and the Stearns and Denison Houses in Beverly Hills. - NRHP 27 December 1989


Timeline

Y/M/D Description Association Composition Place Locale Food Event
Y/M/D Description Association Composition Place Locale Food Event
Architect Grauman's Egyptian Theatre Los Angeles
1910/09/04 Constructed at a cost $13,250, the Henry Weaver House is featured in the Sunday Los Angeles Times Real Estate section. Architect Henry Weaver House Santa Monica
Shop Amazon

Shopping on Amazon

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Google Ad

Google Ad
?