South Carolina Canal and Rail Road Company

  • American

Best Friend of Charleston

The South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company was one of the first railroads in North America to be chartered and constructed. The railroad featured the first steam powered, scheduled passenger train to run in America, pulled by their first locomotive the Best Friend of Charleston. A 1928 replica of locomotive can be found at 32 Ann St in downtown Charleston, South Carolina.

Themes with South Carolina Canal and Rail Road Company

Timeline

Y/M/D Description Association Composition Place Locale Food Event
Y/M/D Description Association Composition Place Locale Food Event
1827/12/19 The South Carolina Canal and Rail Road Company is chartered under act of the South Carolina General Assembly. The company met at the home of its first president, William Aiken. Established William Aiken House and Associated Railroad Structures Charleston
1829/10/00 South Carolina Canal and Railroad send engineer Horatio Allen to Lancashire, England to witness the rainhill Trials where George Stephen and other engineers demonstrated the speed, operation and efficiency of steam locomotives. Owner Rainhill Merseyside
1830/01/09 Construction begins on the South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company at Line Street, Charleston. Owner William Aiken House and Associated Railroad Structures Charleston
1830/12/25 Best Friend of Charleston steam locomotive begins operations. Owner
1831/06/17 The boiler of "Best Friend of Charleston" steam locomotive explodes. The pieces are reused in a new locomotive, "Phoenix". Owner
1832/00/00 Aiken Station a becomes a stop on the world's longest railroad, SCC and RR. Extending 130 mi from the Hamburg (Savannah River) to Charleston, Clearwater, Langley, Bath, Graniteville, Vaucluse and Warrenville grew up along the railroad line. Station Locale Warrenville South Carolina
1833/10/03 South Carolina Canal and Railroad is completed to Hamburg and opens for passenger service. South Carolina Rail Road Piers remain in the Savannah River along side the 5th St bridge. Owner North Augusta South Carolina
1843/12/19 By an act of the South Carolina legislature, The South Carolina Canal and Rail Road Company is merged with The Louisville, Cincinnati and Charleston Railroad Company. The merged company changed its name to South Carolina Railroad Company. Merger Southern Railway Building Washington, DC
1850/00/00 Tower Passenger Depot and double warehouses are built between Ann and John St. Tower Depot was a head type station (trains pulled in, then backed out of the depot) which impeded train traffic and was converted into a freight depot in 1852. Owner William Aiken House and Associated Railroad Structures Charleston
1856/00/00 Deans Warehouse is built of brick with a gable roof, stepped parapets and round parapets. Owner William Aiken House and Associated Railroad Structures Charleston
1857/00/00 Line Street Car and Carpenter Shops are built as a two story brick Italianate structure. Owner William Aiken House and Associated Railroad Structures Charleston
1857/00/00 South Carolina Railroad Warehouse is built across Ann St from Camden Depot. Owner William Aiken House and Associated Railroad Structures Charleston
1910/00/00 Camden Depot, built at 25 Ann St in 1850 with additional work in 1910, features a crenelated tower portal. Owner William Aiken House and Associated Railroad Structures Charleston
1928/00/00 Best Friend of Charleston steam locomotive replica is built by West Point Foundry, New York City. The train is located at 32 Ann St, Charleston. William Aiken House and Associated Railroad Structures Charleston
Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Google Ad

Google Ad
?