Martin Luther Pipes House
The M L Pipes House, built in 1926, was designed by Wade Hampton Pipes, Portland's increasingly-acclaimed Arts and Crafts architect, for his father. It is thought to be an early example of architect Pipes' incorporation of Tudor elements into the English Cottage style, which he popularized in Portland, The house has all the characteristic elements of the English Cottage style as interpreted by Pipes, both interior and exterior, and is in excellent condition.
The M L Pipes House is located in the center of Lot 5 and the Northerly 10 feet of Lot 6, Block 6, MELBOURNE ADDITION to Portland, sections 4 and 5, Township 1 South Range 1 East, Willamette Meridian, in Multnomah County, Oregon. The street address formerly was 751 SW Vista and now is 2675 SW Vista. The Portland Heights neighborhood in which the property is located is immediately to the West of downtown Portland and contains many examples of 20th century period houses built by more affluent residents of the community.
After Judge Pipes died, his wife Mary lived only one more year until 1933. After her death, the house remained empty for a few years and then passed out of the Pipes family in 1944. A well-known dentist, Dr Sanford Wollin, bought and occupied the house for 10 years, then it was sold to Dr George Osgood, who owned the house until 1964, when George H. Shaver, grandson to Captain Shaver of Shaver Transportation Company, bought the house. In 1977, Robert and Beverly Morgan bought the house and owned it until they sold it to the current owners, Walter W McMonies, Jr and Nancy Duhnkrack, both of whom are, appropriately, attorneys by profession. - NRHP, 23 January 1987