Marion Castle, Terre Bonne
- Address: 1 Rogers Rd
Marion Castle, an imposing 26-room stucco-covered masonry structure designed in the Chateauesque style, was built between 1914 and 1916 on a prominent site overlooking Long Island Sound in the Shippan Point section of Stamford, Connecticut. Originally encompassing 4-1/2 acres, the estate now consists of 1.675 acres bordered on the south by Rogers Road, on the east by Ocean Drive West, on the north by Lighthouse Way, and on the west by private, undeveloped land which was formerly the waterfront portion of the property. Distinguished by its high, steeply hipped slate roofs, and a profusion of gabled wings and dormers, the 4-1/2 story castle rises abruptly from the property's eastern, streetfront boundary line, giving the opposite, main elevation a sweeping, western view of the formal gardens and Long Island Sound beyond. The immediate neighborhood consists of single family residences on smaller parcels of land. Except for new construction to the north, most are contemporaneous to the Castle, although they are largely Colonial Revival and neo-Mediterranean in style, and of less impressive proportions.
Marion had four daughters and one son, Hamilton, who was an invalid and died at the age of 17. Several of the interior features of the Castle, specifically the elevator and the ramp, were included in the design of the house to facilitate his movement. - US NRHP, 1982