Shop Amazon

Nails Creek Historic District, GA


  • Travel Genus: Sight
  • Sight Category: Historic District

The Nails Creek Historic District, east of the town of Homer in Banks County, Georgia, a small rural area at the crossroads of GA 51 and GA 63. It appears, except for Nails Creek Baptist Church and cemetery, the four historic buildings, two houses and two stores, have been moved or demolished. - AsNotedIn


Advertisement

Timeline

Y/M/D Person Association Description Composition Food Event
Y/M/D Person Association Description Composition Food Event
1787/02/11 Nails Creek Baptist Church (lost) is established with Rev Moses Sanders among the founders on the land provided by William Wiley (b 1782), who arrived in the vicinity of Nails Creek around 1800.
1908/00/00 The present Nails Creek Baptist Church is built, using locally made bricks and it cost $6,000. The walls are solid brick with no wooden framing, but large wooden posts have been added down the center of the sanctuary ceiling for support.
1910/00/00 Part of the Nails Creek Baptist Church, built c 1881, is moved to the William Harvey Chambers House property, further east on the Old Federal Road.

Places

PlaceAsNotedInType
PlaceAsNotedInType
William Chambers House, Homer
  • NRHP

Data »

Particulars for Nails Creek Historic District, GA:
Historic Use Agricultural outbuildings
Area of Significance Architecture
Criteria Architecture-Engineering
Historic Use Cemetery
Area of Significance Community Planning and Development
Other Description georgian-plan
Architectural Style Gothic Revival
Sight Category Historic District
Criteria Historic Event
Owner Private
Historic Use Religious Property
Architectural Style Romanesque Revival
Historic Use Single dwelling
Historic Use Specialty Store



US National Registry of Historic Places Data »

Accurate at time of registration: 7th November 1996

PLACE DETAILS
Registry Name: Nails Creek Historic District
Registry Address: Jct. of GA 51 and GA 59
Registry Number: 96001307
Resource Type: District
Theme Group: Old Federal Road in Georgia's Banks and Franklin Counties MPS
Owner: Private
Architect: Thompson, Mr.
Architectural Style: Romanesque, Gothic, Other
Attribute: georgian-plan
Area in Acres: 100
Contributing Buildings: 21
Non-Contributing Buildings: 6
Contributing Sites: 1
Other Certification: Date received-pending nomination
Certification: Listed in the National Register
CULTURAL DETAILS
Level of Significance: Local
Area of Significance: Architecture, Community Planning and Development
Applicable Criteria: Event, Architecture-Engineering
Significant Year: c 1870, c 1883, c 1890
Historic Function: Religion, Commerce, Trade, Agriculture, subsistence, Funerary, Domestic
Historic Sub-Function: Single dwelling, Cemetery, Specialty store, Religious structure, Agricultural outbuildings
Current Function: Religion, Domestic, Funerary
Current Sub-Function: Single dwelling Religious structure Cemetery

Shop Amazon
Google Ad

Google Ad
?