Thompson Court Apartments
The Thompson Court Apartment building was opened in 1929 by William K Johnson, with whom Pape (architect Ewald T Pape) had produced the single-story Villa Marconi in the Sunnyside district of southeast Portland the previous year. The Thompson Court building occupies a 100-foot square lot at the northeast corner of NE Eleventh and Thompson in the Irvington neighborhood in northeast Portland. The building is composed as a two-story L-shaped volume containing ten living units. The Thompson Court represents a slight variation of the stylistic formula represented by the San Farlando on Hawthorne Boulevard and the Burrell Heights building on SE Clay. In addition to the dark face brick, tile hip roof, and two-story projecting window bay has been added a semi-elliptical arched portal, within the recess of which is a double entrance. Here, too, the hoods for the front stoops also are tile clad. Central pavilions on either street facade have parapet gables, within the tympanae of which are blind lunettes of corbelled brick with keystone accents. In this essentially Modernistic scheme, like that of the San Farlando Apartments, the stylistic flourishes are vaguely Jacobethan as well as Mediterranean. - NRHP, 15 January 1997