History of American Medicine



Locations
Participants

Timeline

Y/M/D Description Place
1877/00/00 After some difficult experiences in his first years of practice, Dr Wyeth looks for further medical training in New York City. Because there was no postgraduate training available, he enters Bellevue Medical College, graduating in 1877.
1882/10/23 Providing postgraduate training to physicians, Dr Wyeth opens the New York Polyclinic Medical School and Hospital to 18 students at 214-216 E 34th St. The faculty each contributed $100 for expenses, and by the end of the year, there were 182 students.
1890/10/23 Harper's Weekly advocates for 2 years of training in a hospital after graduation from medical school as the ideal route to gain adequate practical training but that this is only available to one of 10 graduates.
1912/04/00 In 28 years in its old facility, the NY Polyclinic had provided practical instruction to more than 20,000 physicians and treated 25,000-30,000 patients annually, without charge.
1912/05/01 Paid for by donations, Dr Wyeth moves the New York Polyclinic Hospital to a new facility at 341-351 West 50th St. Here, 175 physicians and surgeons treat over 300 patients. Income from private rooms supports the expense of charity patients. Clinton NYC,
1916/00/00 Funded with $7,500 annually by the Carnegie Corporation and $20,000 by others, Dr Potter establishes the Memorial Laboratory and Clinic for the Study and Treatment of Nephritis, Gout and Diabetes at the French Hospital, New York City. French Apartments, New York City
1969/00/00 The American Board of Family Practice is established, resulting in residencies in family medicine and diminishing the need for postgraduate clinical training.

Shop Amazon
Google Ad

Google Ad