Herman W Buemming
|Buemming and Dick||1896||1907|
|Buemming and Dick||1896||1907|
|Architect||Ashland County Courthouse||Ashland|
|1872/09/05||Herman Buemming was born in Toledo, Ohio, the son of Julius and Charlotte (Weis) Buemming, who had emigrated to the United States in 1868.||Born|
|1891/00/00||Herman W Buemming studies architecture at Columbia University, 1891 to 1895.||Education|
|1896/00/00||Park Building at 355 Fifth Ave, the first high rise in Pittsburgh to have automatic elevators, is built for industrialists David and William Park, the 15-story structure features a decorative cornice.||Construction Superintendent||Pittsburgh Central Downtown Historic District||Pittsburgh|
|1901/00/00||Herman W Buemming builds a home for himself and his new bride, Gertrude C Durr. An imposing example of the Classical Revival style, it was designed to resemble a Greek temple. The main feature of the building is the two-story pro-style, Ionic portico.||Home, Architect||Herman W Buemming House||Milwaukee|
|1933/06/16||John Durr Buemming, son of Herman Buemming, commits suicide in the family home at 2809 N Prospect Ave (aka 2328 E Newberry Blvd).||Home, Father||Prospect Avenue Mansions Historic District||Milwaukee|
|1947/04/17||After spending several years at the Masonic Home in Dousman, Herman Buemming dies from a heart attack at Summit Hospital.||Died|
Herman Buemming was born in Toledo, Ohio, the son of Julius and Charlotte (Weis) Buemming, who had immigrated to the United States in 1868. When Herman was 12 years of age, the family relocated to Milwaukee and settled on the city's west side. Herman completed his public school education and graduated from the Sixteenth District School in 1888. He then spent a year as an apprentice with local architect Charles A Gombert and subsequently went to work for the Pabst Brewing Company where he became head draftsman. To further his architectural education, Buemming enrolled at Columbia University in New York City in 1891 and studied there for three years. Following his studies, Buemming worked for various New York architects including Stanford White. Buemming is said to have been influenced by John Russell Pope. While working for George B Post, Buemming was sent to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to superintend the construction of the Bank of Pittsburgh and the Park Building. Buemming returned to Milwaukee in 1896 and went into partnership with Gustav Dick. They opened offices in the Pabst Building downtown. A published biography indicates that Buemming was associated with Chicago architect William LeBaron Jenny in the construction of the Railway Exchange Building in downtown Milwaukee. During the eleven-year partnership of Buemming and Dick, the firm produced a number of Classical Revival and Colonial Revival buildings including Century Hall (1899) at 2346 North Farwell Avenue (razed after a fire in 1988), the Dr L Stephan Residence (1899) at 2803 East Bradford Avenue, the George Grede Residence (1900) at 1804 West Mineral Street, and the Sterneman-Graham House (1903) at 3112 West McKinley Boulevard (McKinley Boulevard Historic District, NRHP, 7/30/1985). Buemming and Dick also designed such Classical Revival style churches as St. Matthew Roman Catholic Church (1905) at 1126 South 25th Street and the Church of the Immaculate Conception (1907) at 1023 East Russell Avenue and various commercial style buildings such as the terra-cotta- clad Simon Jung Building (1906) at 236 North Water Street.
Buemming's partnership with Dick ended in 1907. Buemming moved his architectural practice to 919 North Jackson Street (razed) where his offices remained for most of his career. During the second phase of his practice after he split with Dick, Buemming was best known for his distinctive Prairie Style residences such as the A E Rietbrock House (1911) at 726 N 31st Street, the George Weinhagen House (1911) at 3306 West , Highland Boulevard (Highland Boulevard National Register Historic District, 7/30/1985), the W Green-owned house (1909) at 2906 East Linnwood Avenue, and the William F Engelhardt Residence (1912) at 2806 East Locust Street and many others. Throughout his Prairie phase, Buemming continued to design period style houses. He was facile in the Colonial, Tudor, Mediterranean, and Georgian styles. In 1913 Buemming spent four months in Europe traveling in Italy, France, and England studying architecture and sketching. This sojourn, no doubt, reinforced his interest in period revival design.
In 1919 Buemming formed a new partnership with architect Alexander C Guth. Guth had previously worked for Buemming from about 1905 through 1915 then went out on his own and in 1918 worked for Milwaukee architect Alfred C Clas. Guth remained Buemming's partner for eight years during which time the firm designed the French-style August J Luedke Residence (1923) at 2726 East Newberry Boulevard, the Neo-Classical style Kinley Dodge commercial building (1921) at 3903 West Lisbon Avenue, the Jacobean style E H Schwartzburg house at 3223 North Lake Drive, and the east half of the Johnson Controls Building (1924) at 507 East Michigan Street as well as many other houses and commercial buildings. In 1927 Guth went to work for the local firm of Herbst and Kuenzli, and Buemming took his son John into practice with him.
John Durr Buemming (July 23, 1902 - June 16, 1933) studied architecture at the University of Pennsylvania as a member of the Class of 1926. John's tragic suicide in 1933 at the family home at 2809 North Prospect Avenue (aka 2328 East Newberry Boulevard) resulted in Clarence W Jahn entering Buemming's firm as a draftsman. Jahn became a partner with Buamming in 1939. In 1940 the firm moved from 919 to 925 North Jackson Street. The firm of Buemming and Jahn Inc. was active until Buemming retired in 1943. The Buemmings subsequently moved to Waukesha County. Buemming spent several years at the Masonic Home in Dousman and died at Summit Hospital from a heart attack on Thursday, April 17, 1947. - NRHP