US Lighthouse Board

  • American

AIDS TO NAVIGATION

The Aids to Navigation mission of the US Coast Guard has a history dating back to the building and illumination of the first American lighthouse on Little Brewster Island in Boston Harbor in 1716. The Congress of the United States created the Lighthouse Establishment as an administrative unit of the Federal Government on 7 August 1789. From 1852 to 1910 it was known as the Lighthouse Board. - AsNotedIn

Notable Position Person From To
Lighthouse Board Engineer for Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts James Chatham Duane 1868 1879
Lighthouse Inspector, Secretary George Dewey 1880 1882

Timeline

Y/M/D Description Association Composition Place Locale Food Event
Y/M/D Description Association Composition Place Locale Food Event
Architect Manana Island Fog Signal Station Monhegan Island
Architect Wolf Trap Light Station Poquoson East
Architect Thimble Shoal Light Station Hampton
Architect Smith Point Light Station Smith Point
Architect Newport News Middle Ground Light Station Newport News
Architect Cape Henry (Second Tower) Light Station Virginia Beach
Architect Spectacle Reef Light Station Benton Township
Architect Menominee Pierhead Light Station Menominee
Architect Stepping Stones Light Station Kings Point
Architect Tinicum Island Range Rear Light Station Billingsport
Architect Middle Island Light Alpena
Architect Navesink Light Station Highlands
Architect Orchard Shoal Light Station, Old New York City
1845/04/00 Contracted for $15,000, construction begins on the Point Loma Lighthouse. At a height of 462 feet, Point Lomas light will become the nation's highest. Developer Old Point Loma Lighthouse San Diego, CA
1845/04/00 Contracted for $15,000, construction begins on the Point Loma Lighthouse. At a height of 462 feet, Point Lomas light will become the nation's highest. Developer Old Point Loma Lighthouse Cabrillo National Monument
1868/10/20 Huron Island Lighthouse begins operation, producing a white light with a focal plane of 198 feet. Architect Huron Islands Lighthouse Huron Islands, MI
1873/00/00 Lighthouse repaired and moved to present location Architect Matagorda Island Lighthouse Matagorda Island National Wildlife Refuge and State Natural Area
1878/00/00 A new 48-foot (15 m) cast-iron, brick-lined lighthouse tower is built inside the 1804 tower, which was eventually removed. Developer Portsmouth Harbor Light New Castle, NH
1878/00/00 After experimenting in the 1870's in finding a better fuel, the Lighthouse Board introduces kerosene, or mineral oil. The adoption of using the new fuel is slowed since the lens lamp has to be converted to use it. History
1896/10/00 Big Bay Point Light Station is built by the 11th District Light-House Engineer, May to October 1896 Architect Big Bay Point Light Station Big Bay, MI
1904/12/22 Lightship No 83 is delivered to the US Lighthouse Establishment. Owner RELIEF (lightship) Seattle
1906/06/30 Determined to be a major navigational aid for the Philadelphia Ship Channel, appropriation to build the Miah Maull Shoal Lighthouse are approved by Congress in acts of 30 June 1906, 4 March 1907 and 4 March 1911. Developer Miah Maull Shoal Lighthouse
1907/00/00 Lightship No 88 is delivered to the US Coast Guard. Owner COLUMBIA (lightship) Astoria
Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Google Ad

Google Ad
?