Public Schools in Memphis, Tennesse 1918-1954 MPS



The public school buildings built between 1918 and 1954 in Memphis, Shelby County, Tennessee, are an important physical record of the growth, development, and changes in education in Memphis and reflect the changing styles of academic architecture from Academic Revival styles to Modern. Following the first World War and continuing through the 1920s, Memphis schools were experiencing a period of growth and expansion. With the crash of the stock market in 1929 and the subsequent economic downturn, school construction halted in the city until the federally funded Public Works Administration (PWA) school projects of the latter part of the 1930s. The United States entry into World War II halted further construction until after the war. The racial segregation of the separate but equal era is reflected in the inequality between white and African-American schools. - NRHP, January 1996

Places

PlaceLocaleTypeAsNotedIn
Melrose School
  • NRHP
Humes, LC, High School
  • NRHP

Data »

Data
Theme group category: Groups

Search Amazon for:


Advertisements placed by Google.
Advertisements placed by Google.
Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Google Ad

Google Ad