Late 19th and Early 20th Century Development and Architecture in Pasadena



The city of Pasadena is located in Southern California at the west end of the San Gabriel Valley. Prior to 1873, the year Midwestern settlers established Pasadena as a new community; the area was occupied by a Native American tribe, Spanish missionaries, and Mexican ranchers. The earliest settlers came to the area to enjoy the climate and develop the land. Scattered houses surrounded by orchards and vineyards came to dominate the landscape. The coming of the railroad facilitated a building and population boom in the late 1880s. After the boom, agriculture was replaced by tourism as the greatest influence over development patterns. The gravitation to Pasadena by ethnic groups followed the pattern of much of California during the period. Chinese were present as early as 1880 and mainly worked as servants and laborers. Other groups soon followed, and as their numbers grew, they founded businesses and social institutions. Beginning in the 1890s, Pasadena became a haven for wealthy industrialists, with middle class artists, educators, tradesmen, craftsmen, and servant class workers contributing to the composition of its citizenry. The associated contexts that represent this period of development include: The Early Settlement of Pasadena (1833-1885); The Boom of the 1880s and its Impact on Pasadena (1886-1904); Residential Architecture in Pasadena (1883-1904); and Architects and Builders in Pasadena (1883-1904). - NRHP, 3 May 2010

The following properties are already listed in the National Register as contributing to a historic district:
206 N Grand, 1895, Lower Arroyo Seco Historic District
Clapp House, 549 La Loma, 1886, Lower Arroyo Seco Historic District
House, 115 W Green, 1895, Old Pasadena Historic District
Fannie Bonham Row Houses, 221 N Raymond, 1901, Old Pasadena Historic District
Pasadena Fire Department, 37 W Dayton, 1889, Old Pasadena Historic District
Palace Livery, 51 W Dayton, 1902, Old Pasadena Historic District
Plant Block, 11-17 N Fair Oaks, 1887, Old Pasadena Historic District
Mary K Bartlett Building, 19-25 N Fair Oaks, 1894, Old Pasadena Historic District
29-33 N Fair Oaks, 1893, Old Pasadena Historic District
37-39 N Fair Oaks, 1893, Old Pasadena Historic District
45-47 N Fair Oaks, 1887, Old Pasadena Historic District
72 N Fair Oaks, 1904, Old Pasadena Historic District
76-82 N Fair Oaks, 1904, Old Pasadena Historic District
118-28 N Fair Oaks, 1884/1904, Old Pasadena Historic District
Doty Block, 103-15 S Fair Oaks, 1887/1924, Old Pasadena Historic District
Vandervort Block, 26-38 S Raymond, 1894, Old Pasadena Historic District
Hotel Green Heat & Light Plant, 164-70 S Raymond, 1897/1902, Old Pasadena Historic District
Schneider and Black Blacksmith Shop, 62-64 W Union, 1888/1900, Old Pasadena Historic District

Places

PlaceLocaleTypeAsNotedIn
Mary E Denham House House
  • NRHP
Evanston Inn
  • NRHP
Theodore Parker Lukens House
  • NRHP
Stoutenburgh House
  • NRHP
Holly Street Livery Stable
  • NRHP
Miss Orton's Classical School for Girls (Dormitory)
  • NRHP
Hotel Green
  • NRHP

Data »

Data
Theme group category: Groups

Search Amazon for:


Advertisements placed by Google.
Advertisements placed by Google.
Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Google Ad

Google Ad