Search Amazon for:

Maywood
Advertisement

Places

Name of Notable Genus AsNotedIn No Address Proximity Area
Name Genus AsNotedIn Address Proximity Area
Albert Soffel House
  • Sight
  • NRHP
508 N 5th Ave
Caroline Grow House
  • Sight
  • NRHP
603 N 6th Ave
Caroline Millward House
  • Sight
  • NRHP
502 N 5th Ave
E W Hoard House
  • Sight
  • PRHP
405 N 7th Ave
George F Stahmer House
  • Sight
  • PRHP
704 N 4th Ave
Harry H Nichols House
  • Sight
  • NRHP
216 S 4th Ave
Jacob Bohlander House
  • Sight
  • NRHP
316 N 4th Ave
Jennie S Thompkins House
  • Sight
  • NRHP
503 N 4th Ave
Joseph P O Sullivan House
  • Sight
  • NRHP
142 S 17th Ave
Mads C Larson House
  • Sight
  • NRHP
318 S 1st Ave
Masonic Temple Building
  • Sight
  • NRHP
200 S 5th Ave
Maywood Fire Department Building
  • Sight
  • NRHP
511 St Charles Rd
Mrs Henry F Akin House
  • Sight
  • NRHP
901 S 8th Ave
Richard Cluever House
  • Sight
  • NRHP
601 N 1st Ave
Robinson House
  • Sight
  • NRHP
602 N 3rd Ave
Timothy J Lynch House
  • Sight
  • NRHP
416 N 4th Ave
William and Caroline Gibbs House
  • Sight
  • NRHP
515 N 3rd Ave
William Frangenheim House
  • Sight
  • NRHP
410 N 3rd Ave

Data »

Particulars for Maywood:
Locale Type Village



History »

History

The history of Maywood as a distinct community dates back to 1868 when Col. William T, Nichols, a former legislator and state senator from Rutland, Vermont, and six other Vermonters, carefully surveyed the outlying territory of Chicago looking to establish a suburban town. They concluded that the site which promised the greatest possibilities for the making of a large prosperous suburb was the area that was to become known as Maywood.

Nichols traveled to Chicago and began to purchase farmland to the west of the wooded area along the Des Plaines River. It was officially chartered by the State Legislature on April 6, 1869, with Nichols as president, an office he held until his death in 1882. A short time before Nichols 1 venture became a reality his daughter May died, and in memory of her the village was named Maywood.

The founders of Maywood immediately set about establishing the basis of a community. Even before incorporation became official they donated land to the North Western Railway to be sure a depot would be ready by April 1, 1869. Next came streets, carefully laid out in a uniform grid pattern. Square blocks, 2.5 acres in size, were formed by laying out 66 foot wide streets crossing at right angles.

A public park was also to be an integral part of the original plan. "Maywood Park," 16 acres landscaped with two lakes, groves, walks, drives, grottos and including a music pavilion with dance floor and a 124 foot observatory, was strategically located between First and Fifth Avenues across from the train depot. Photographs taken in the early 20th Century indicate the park looked pretty much as it was planned. Unfortunately little remains but open space between First and Fourth Avenues north of Oak Street. - NPS, Multiple Property Documentation Form


Shop Amazon
Google Ad

Google Ad
?