Quincy Market, Boston

  • Historically Known As: Faneuil Hall Market

  • Travel Genus: Sight
  • Sight Category: Building

The cornerstone of Faneuil Hall Market was laid on 27 April 1826, and the complex was opened for business the following year. The entire project, involving the creation of six new streets, the extension of a portion of the Boston waterfront, and the expenditure of more than $1,100,000, was accomplished without any special taxes of any debt on the part of the city. The 128 stalls in the market and the stores in the flanking structures carried an extensive selection of food products and within a short time became the food distribution center not only for Boston but for most of New England. In addition, the large rooms on the second floor of the market building, known collectively as Quincy Hall, were frequently the site of commercial fairs and exhibitions such as the triennial fairs of the Massachusetts Charitable Mechanic Association. - US NRHP



Y/M/D Person Association Description Composition Food Event
Y/M/D Person Association Description Composition Food Event
1742/00/00 Market facilities at Faneuil Hall are built. Enlarged 1805-1806, they have since been lost.
1776/09/00 Nathanial Faxon leases two stalls in Faneuil Hall Market (lost), Boston.
1824/00/00 By the time Mayor Josiah Quincy takes office, facilities in Faneuil Hall market are obviously inadequate - temporary wooden sheds cluttered the immediate area and on market days farmers' carts completely obstructed all adjacent streets.
1824/01/13 Josiah Quincy III Work Mayor Quincy holds a public meeting to consider his proposal to replace the existing Faneuil Hall market (built 1742, enlarged 1805-06) with a new market immediately east of Faneuil Hall on a site to be created by filling in the Town Dock and building ove
1826/04/27 Josiah Quincy III Work The cornerstone of Faneuil Hall Market is laid. The structure is being built east of Faneuil Hall which is on the waterfront at the town dock. The entire project involves the creation of six new streets and the extension of the Boston waterfront.
1827/00/00 Alexander Parris Architect Faneuil Hall Market opens. Structural support is provided by cast iron columns spaced along a central aisle down the length of the first floor. The side areas are divided into 128 stalls. The second floor has seven large halls, all directly connected. Invention of Structural Iron
1840/09/00 Sarah Josepha Hale Organizer Organized by Sarah Hale, the great women's craft fair raises $30,000 for the Bunker Hill monument by selling handmade jewelry, quilts, baskets, jams, jellies, cakes, pies and autographed letters from Washington, James Madison and the Marquis de Lafayette. Constructing Bunker Hill Monument
1855/00/00 Job Faxon Work Job Faxon owns and operates a stall on the north side of Faneuil Hall Market, Boston, near the town dock (lost).

Data »

Particulars for Quincy Market, Boston:
Area of Significance Architecture
Criteria Architecture-Engineering
Sight Category Building
Area of Significance Commerce
Criteria Historic Event
Level of Significance National
Owner Private
Historic Use Specialty Store
Building Type Warehouse

US National Registry of Historic Places Data »

Accurate at time of registration:

Registry Name:
Registry Address:
Registry Number: 66000784
Resource Type:
Owner: Private, Local
Architect: Parris,Alexander
Architectural Style: No style listed
Other Certification: Designated National Landmark, National Landmark boundary approved
Nominator Name: National Historic Landmark
Level of Significance: National
Area of Significance: Commerce, Architecture
Applicable Criteria: Event, Architecture-Engineering
Period of Significance: 1825-1849
Significant Year: 1825, 1826
Historic Function: Commerce, Trade
Historic Sub-Function: Specialty store, Warehouse
Current Function: Commerce, Trade
Current Sub-Function: Specialty store

Shopping on Amazon

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Google Ad

Google Ad