Old Governor's Mansion
- Also Known As: Executive Mansion
- Address: 120 S Clark St
The original choice of a plan for the Executive Mansion was-one by John Pell, but upon close examination.it was determined that the cost would be approximately $70,000; therefore, the alternate plan, proposed by a Mr Clusky, was selected because the estimated cost for executing was only $30,000. It has, however, completed at a cost of $50,000. Records in the Legislative Journal indicate that both Pell and C B McClusky were each paid $100 for the best plan for the Executive Mansion.
Jared Irwin, the first chief executive residing in the new capital, occupied a log cabin. Three other houses, of clapboards, later served as the official residence until the present building was completed in 1838. Governors occupying the Mansion from 1839 to 1868 were: George R Gilmer, Charles J. McDonald, George W. Crawford, George E. Towns, Howell Cobb, Herschel V Johnson, Joseph E Brown, James Johnson, Charles J Jenkins, and Brigadier General Thomas H Ruger. Ruger, serving from January to July 1868, was appointed by General George H Meade, Commander of the Third Military District which Georgia was a part during Reconstruction. General William T Sherman established his headquarters in the Executive Mansion in November of 1864. From that time through Reconstruction the stately Mansion suffered many tragic moments. On May 9, 1865 Governor Brown was arrested, in the building by Federal troops. - NRHP, 13 May 1970