Old Fort Argyle Site
- Address: GA 144
- Vicinity: Marker on GA 144, 4 mi W of jct US 17 (N31 58.362', W81 22.602')
Near here, on the West bank of the Ogeechee River, Fort Argyle was built in 1733, to command one of the main passes by which enemy Indians had recently invaded South Carolina, and to give protection to the settlers of Savannah from anticipated raid by Spaniards from Florida.
The fort was named in honor of John, Duke of Argyle, friend and patron of James Edward Oglethorpe, and was garrisoned by Captain McPherson with a detachment of Rangers. - GHM 015-9 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958